Sunday, May 16, 2010

On the coolin' board...

The last few days have been ones of ups and downs.

Jenna had to move out (read: was kicked out) of her and Evan's apartment, which was/is the source of some (continuing) drama. She's staying with me now, though, which makes me really really ecstatic. She says she feels fine, and I believe her. Still, I would rather she didn't have to go through this.

Last night's SC&S show was a clusterfuck from its very inception--bad time and date, quitting guitarist, unavailable bassist, idiotic pseudo-power-plays from the other band sharing the bill with us--and continued to be so through yesterday--MIA replacement bassist, malfunctioning amp, mucho stress and worry, sweating bullets trying to teach Replacement Bassist II (the incredible Craig Sadler, who totally put in a lot of extra effort to save our collective ass, and was nearly single-handedly responsible for the success of the show) all 18 songs on the setlist, transportation problems and issues, running late, setting up on a tiny, tiny stage, etc. To top it all off, I was already really tired from staying up super late the night before*, getting up early to pick Craig S. from the Metro Station, and the stress of the days previous. Suffice it to say, pretty much everything that could have gone wrong did. God obviously didn't want us to play this gig.

But we flipped the big bearded guy the bird and played an amazing show anyhow. Seriously. I don't think I can remember ever playing so consistently well. Everyone was on and I was really feeling it and the audience reception was pretty friendly indeed.

Afterwards, I was completely exhausted and emotionally drained, but had a great ride home (after packing millions of pounds of musical crap into various vehicles, walking to a gas station [where Jenna and I were engaged in stimulating conversation by a probably-homeless guy who gave me advice on the finer points of painting my woman's toenails] to get Diet Coke, and finding I-95) alone with Jenna. Then home, unloading cars, a somewhat chilly driving-Matt-home trip, a quick shower, and sleep (in the oh-so-comfortable arms of the young lady with which I am lucky enough to be in reciprocated love).

Now basically, I have a crazy amount of work to get done in 3ish days, and I don't really know how it's gonna happen.

After Thursday, everything will be okay.
On Thursday and Friday, Jenna graduates (and I get to be there all beaming and proud and meeting her family and and and hurray), I hand in my thesis, and we can both stop freaking out a little I can stop freaking out. {Edit prompted by a comment from one Ms. J. McKay, who thought very poorly of being included in my Freaking Out Club indeed. Apologies, madame.}
I can't wait.

Here're some photos from last night:





*Not really complaining.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, who's freaking out? On the contrary, you help me flourish.

    And, I didn't say these exact words before, but you were totally sexy up there doin' your thang ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... sorry for roping you into my freaking out circle. I would be freaking out if I was you. Maybe not. Oh well. Glad I help you flourish. I could to well to flourish a little myself here. :)

    AND

    awww you're making me blush...

    ReplyDelete